Tuesday 18 May 2010

Praise Brother Jesus' Name! For I am glad and happy for ma Brotha Jesus' sake!

Now, I recommend that you stay away from hymns with this kind of name. I know the old saying, never judge a book by its cover...but, I can't help but think that a hymn with this kinda name would not exactly...be 100% orthodox in nature. Modern churches are ugly as sin, and so is some of the music. Not only the words, but the setting of hymns and chants can make it sacred. Would a Rose by any other name smell just as sweet? Would a Dominican by another habit look like a Dominican?

God is to be worshipped, not us humans. He deserved the most BEAUTIFUL music that can be found! Our Lord is present in the Eucharist! The Mass is a SACRIFICE! Not a concert! Not a spectacle of flittering dancers! Today, I decided to pick through the website of the OCP. I reqret it wholly. Here is what I found...
(Please note, since I am a TLM'r, I do not know that much about some of these settings).
Well...today, I was looking through the OCP's website. I came across Mass settings on a CD. "Adoramus" featured Father Fabings "Mass of a Loving God". I only like "Adoramus" from the setting, thats it.

Then, I looked at "Alleluia to the End of Time", ooohh, how magical. It contained various settings... mostly from the "Gathering Mass", the most famous setting of the Novus Ordo in England. I suppose it can sound good with an organ and a good choir...possibly. There were songs with guitar intro's....if I could choose a favourite, not that I had any, then, I suppose the one I liked the most, was "I will sing forever of Your love, Lord" I liked the tune.

"Alleluia! Give the Glory!!" was what I listened to next. It was a CD recording of the "Mass of Glory". Listening to it, I thought I was at a broadway musical show. Exciting.

Well, next I listened to "Alleluia! Praise to You, Volume I". It contained parts of the mass from numerous settings. When I listened to  "Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia", it sounded very familiar. Then I realized that it is the most popular setting of the Alleluia for the NO in my area. Though, the way it was sang on the CD was just irreverent. When I heard it before, it was actually quite beautiful. It was played on an organ, with the congregation singing. The "Celtic Alleluia" was on it, which can be quite beautiful when played on the organ, and the choir singing it in a "chantful" way. The way it was sang on the CD was "guitar-happy worship me" style. Eghg.

I listened to the second volume of  "Alleluia Prase to You!" next. I liked the "Alleluia and Versicles", because it was mainly organ! The "Choral Alleluia" was also very reverent! I would rather not talk about the "Hebrews Alleluia". I mean seriously....the Mass is not a concert.

"Always & Everywhere" was what I listened to next. It was by Dan Schutte, so I guess you know what I thought of it....blech.

I suffered through "At the Table of Jesus" next. That title got me really excited! It was a setting for the Mass for children. Ugh, God. Listen: children do not need their own exciting setting. The cover showed a priest holding the hands of children around the altar. Yay. I knew I was in for a treat. It was tagged also as "Ritual Music" Woohoo! The music sounded like it was from a pre-school show explaing the letters of the alphabet. "At the Table of Jesus"...it sounded like a fundamentalist Baptist praise sunday-school song. 'Nuff said.
Oh! And I forgot! It was co-written by Carey Landry! The definition of liturgical disaster.

Next up, I listened to "Behold the Glory of God". It was written by the St. Louis (not) Jesuit, Roc O'Connor. Half the songs sounded like some tribal Indian ritual dance, and 75% had swaying cards. I know for a fact. There was one song called "Lumen Christi". I think it was their attempt at writing a chant...attempt = fail. "Veni, Sancte Spiritus" was on it, the setting of it was not written by the St. Louis Jesuits. So...

"Bloom Where You're Planted" was what I listened to next. It was written by Carey Landry, so I payed no mind to most of it. Blech.

=TO BE CONTINUED=

No comments: